- The flag of Guatemala has two main colors: sky blue and white. - The two blue stripes represent the fact that Guatemala is a country between two oceans, Pacific Ocean and Atlantic Ocean; it also represents the blue sky over the country.
Guatemala before gaining their independence
In 1500s, Guatemala was conquered by the Spanish Conquistadors and remained a part of the Spanish Colonial for roughly 300 years. Before the conquest Guatemala was the home of the Mayan civilization. They were conquered by the invasion of the Conquistador named Pedro de Alvarado that came in 1523.
Guatemala Gaining Independence
After 300 years being a Spanish Colonial, Guatemala gained their independence on September 15, 1821. Guatemala actually gained their independence without much bloodshed and wars unlike other parts of Latin America. It gained its independence through political means rather than a war, which was to declare independence against Spain. They did this by making a document called Act of Independence of Central America. During that time, Spain didn't actually pay much attention to the small countries like Guatemala so they just let Guatemala go on their own way.
Guatemala Gaining Independence (continue...)
Gabino de Gainza was a Spanish military Officer that fought in the Latin American wars of independence. When Guatemala declared independence against Spain and they formed a new government which assumed jurisdiction over the country, and they kept him as the Chief Executive. He was one of the signers of the Act of Independence of Central America that helped Guatemala to gain its independence from Spain on September 15, 1821.
The current President of Guatemala is Alejandro Maldonado.
Guatemala has a written constitution and a democratic republic from of government
Guatemala Independence Day
- Guatemala Independence Day is on September 15th.
-Guatemalans celebrate their Independence Day with dances, fireworks, and parades.
Pacaya is an active complex volcano in Guatemala, which first erupted approximately 23,000 years ago and has erupted at least 23 times since the Spanish invasion of Guatemala. Pacaya rises to an elevation of 2,552 metres.
Tourist Sites (continue...)
Located in the lowland rainforest of northern Guatemala, Tikal is one of the top tourist attractions in Guatemala due to its beauty and ancient wonders. The name Tikal translates as “Place of Voices” and once boasted a bustling population of a quarter million or more. Today, however, all that is left of this ancient metropolis are a number of beautiful Mayan ruins.
Guatemala City Guatemala Temple
The Guatemala City Guatemala Temple is the 34th constructed and 32nd operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Located in Guatemala City, capital city of Guatemala, it was built with a modern six-spire design.
- their most common ingredients for food are black beans, white rice, corn tortillas, beef, and chicken.
- Guatemala breakfasts are simple, typically including an assortment of eggs, tortillas, beans and plantains.
- they have desserts like tres leches and flan Traditional food: -Chiles rellenos: Chile peppers stuffed with rice, cheese, meat and vegetables. Kak’ik: A traditional Mayan turkey soup, with spices like coriander, achiote, and chile peppers.
- Volcanoes explosion is a normal part of life in Guatemala. - Guatemala is a poor country so public transportation such as buses are very crowded, the bus is usually full of people standing in chaos. - Guatemalan' foods mainly consist of beans, vegetables, and tortillas. They usually eat meat once a week. -Agriculture is one of the main job. -Half of the population are descendants of the Mayans so they preserved many traditions and cultures from the Mayans. They kept many Mayan food recipes and traditional celebrations that they still used in their normal day life.
What is normal everyday life in Guatemala?
-Ted Hendricks was a former NFL linebacker for 15 seasons, from 1969 until 1983, during which time he played for the Colts, the Packers, and the Raiders. -Myrna Mack was a Anthropologist and civil rights activist who fought for the rights of the indigenous Mayan people in Guatemala. She became a martyr for her cause after she was murdered. Her killer was notably tried before the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in Costa Rica. -Oscar Isaac is a movie actor. He was in films like Drive and Ex-Machina, he will also have a role in the upcoming Star Wars movie.
The population is divided by two main ethnic groups, LaTinos and Mayan.
Spanish is a language in Guatemala, but there are also 20 Mayan dialects.
Guatemala is a less-developed country largely dependent upon traditional commercial crops such as coffee, sugar, and bananas as the basis of its market economy.
Guatemala has 33 volcanoes.
Guatemala is said to mean "land of many trees".
The first ever chocolate bar was made in Guatemala by the Mayans.
Mayans came up with the mathematical concept of zero.
Around 60% of the population does not know how to read and write.
Denim for the blue jeans was first created in Guatemala.