* Throughout the world there was tension between country's that initially was one of the causes of WWI . In the late 1800s, many Europeans began to reject the idea of a nation as a collection of different ethnic groups.
* The leading industrial nations competed for lands rich in raw materials as well as for places to build military bases to protect their empires.
* The fighting between Germany and Britain at sea and between, France, and Russia on land guaranteed one important thing, The next World war would involve more troops and more technologically advanced weapons than ever before. Machine guns, mobile artillery, tanks, submarines, and airplanes would change the nature of warfare
The fighting Begins
*Archduke Francis Ferdinand's assassination was the incident that triggered World War 1
* Austria-Hungary sent a harsh ultimatum to Serbia demanding full cooperation in an investigation into the assassination
*After Serbia did not agree to all of Austria-Hungary's demands, Austria-Hungary declared war on them on July 28, 1914
* After Russia hurried to ally Serbia, Germany declared war on Russia
* This caused France, Russia's ally to declare war on Germany
* Great Britain, which had treaties with France and Belgium immediately declared war on Germany
* World War 1 was basically a bunch of countries declaring war on each other in an effort to support one another's ally.
Technology comes into play
* Many new deadly types of technology had come into play
* This technology included poison gases, machine guns, Artillery field guns, submarines, tanks and armored cars, and airplanes
* German troops were the first to use machine guns and artillery fire to kill thousands of French and British troops
* The primary reason for the length of the war was the use of deadly new weapons which killed more soldiers at a faster rate
Wilson Urges Neutrality
•No involvement unless our interests were threatened •Wilson did not want to see the war set Americans against each other •German and Irish Americans felt that the Central Powers were justified •Most Americans sided with Britain and France
Neutrality Gives Way to War
- wanted world peace - used his influence to end conflict -> ended in failure. -> America enters to the war.
2 main reasons why America entered war
- The Sinking of Lusitania
- Zimmerman Note
tried to prevent the enemy from receiving essential goods.
Both used Blockade
- German submarine - used to sink allied ships. - destroyed more than 11 million tons of allied shipping - killed nearly 14,000 people.
Sinking of Lusitania
- German u-boat sank a British passenger liner Lusitania. - out of nearly 2000 passengers, approximately 1200 died. - about 120 people were American. - it took 18 minutes to sink.
-> Led to protests in America. -> People started to demand war with Germany. -> Wilson still wanted peace.
- Germany starts to suffer from supply shortages due to the Blockade.
- Germany attempts to make Mexico their ally. - Prime Minister Arthur Zimmerman sends a telegram to Mexico. - Germany proposes Mexico to declare war against America. - They promise to give New Mexico, Texas, and Arizona if they win.
- President Wilson was shocked. - People were outraged. - Wilson no longer called for peace.